Preventing the Spread of COVID-19 at Teddy Bear Day Care and Preschool
Daily Cleaning, Sanitizing and Disinfecting the Child Care Center Environment
- All door handles at least three times a day (mid-morning, naptime, and at closing)
- All light switches at least three times a day (mid-morning, naptime, and at closing)
- Handwashing sinks and faucets at least 8 times a day (after arrival, after breakfast, after AM snack, after AM outside time, after lunch, after PM snack, after PM outside time, at closing, and as needed when cleaning up art experiences)
- Toilet seats and flushing levers at least 5 times a day (after breakfast, after going outside in the AM, naptime, after going outside in the PM, and at closing)
- Tabletops before and after each use
- ALL toys after each use* (naptime and at closing)
- Changing tables after each use
- Playground equipment and outside toys before each use
- Counters and shelving at least twice a day (naptime and at closing)
- Cots and cribs daily
Until further notice: any toys or equipment that cannot be washed with soap and water, then sanitized/disinfected after each use, should be removed. Examples of this are baby dolls that have cloth bodies, puppets, stuffed animals, books with paper pages, and dress-up items.
*Set aside small toys that need to be washed. Place them in a sensory table or large container labeled "soiled toys". In another sensory table or large container labeled "wash", prepare fresh soapy water to wash the "soiled toys". After they are washed, they need to be rinsed and air-dried on a clean surface. Any toys that have been mouthed need to go in the sanitation container prior to washing. Remember to wash the sensory table or large container labeled "soiled toys" after each use. Have enough toys so that they can be rotated through cleanings. Larger toys, such as blocks, can be sprayed with Lysol or wiped down after spraying with an appropriate mixture of Lysol and water*.
*Instructions for the use of Lysol® (kills 99.9% of viruses and bacteria):
To Clean / Deodorize: Spray surface until thoroughly wet. Wipe with a clean cloth or sponge. No rinsing required. To Clean Soap Scum and Greasy Soil: Allow product to sit to penetrate soil before wiping clean. Repeat if necessary. To Sanitize / Disinfect: Pre-clean surface. Spray surface until thoroughly wet. To Sanitize: Leave for 10 seconds before wiping. To Disinfect: Leave for 2 minutes before wiping. Rinse all food contact surfaces with water after use.
This document has been prepared in accordance with the CDC’s Guidance for Child Centers that Remain Open as it applies to their recommendation to "intensify cleaning and disinfection efforts".